I am the youngest of five, and the sibling closest in age to myself is
nearly 12 years older. Thus, when I was growing up, most of my siblings were in
high school and college. At this time computers where just gaining popularity,
but we did not have one, as my parents were paying for many tuition's. We did
have a TV, a VCR, and a rotary phone, so we
certainly had some technology, but it took us awhile to catch-up in terms of
having the latest gadgets. In addition, because of all the people in the house,
it was difficult to use any of this technology. Personally, I remember having a
walkman to listen to the radio, and eventually a discman to listen to CD'S. I
remember taking this with me when in high school, on the bus headed to an
athletic event. (I thought I was so cool!)
My earliest memories of using technology in terms of a computer was when we
had a word processor, that was without a delete button, so making a mistake was
a nightmare! Many a night in middle school were spent typing a paper on that
lousy machine. Finally, upon entering high school we got a simple, but workable
computer, and I basically just used it to type papers for school, as I am not
the most technological person. I was in high school in the first part of the
2000's, thus doing all your research online was still a relatively newer idea,
we still did a lot of research and note taking in the school library, then just
typed our assignments at home. It wasn't until college that I got my own
computer (a laptop) and that I learned how to research information.
I am still not overly comfortable with technology, as I feel as it is
evolving at such a rapid pace, that it is hard to keep up with it. Once you
learn something new, it has changed once again. Being in the field of education
though, I do feel as if it is important to as least have some sort of grasp of
newer developments, because you might have to use them at some point. (such as
Smartboards) Now many schools also seem to be getting IPADS, and with that, we
as teachers need to be aware of effective APPS that could benefit students. I
am eager to learn about this newer technology and how I can apply it to the
present day classroom.
Through my experiences in college and graduate school I do feel as if I have
become a better researcher, and now know how to use many programs that I didn't
before. I can confidently use Powerpoint, social media, and Word. I now have a smartphone,
which I can operate without too many issues, as well as having an IPOD. I still
need to consult family and friends at times regarding this newer technology,
but I’m not doing too bad! My parents have also gotten a flat screen TV, and
cell phones of their own! We are certainly becoming a family of the 21st
century!
Nicely done Brian! I still remember that word processor and how many papers I threw out because of a typo!!! I agree, with that many siblings, there was not much time to use the technology we did have! Someone was always fighting to use the phone or to watch what they wanted on our one TV! I agree with your statement about technology moving so fast! I feel like we buy a new product, and just a few months later, they come out with a newer, updated version! I too am still getting used to my smartphone and I know I am not using it to its full capacity, but I do love the convenience that it has brought to my life! Lastly, I agree that teachers need to stay on top of the latest technology to utilize it to benefit their classes. I just wish we had more training on the products we do have, like the smartboard!
ReplyDeleteBrian, I also tend to view technology as mainly a resource for things like research and work/school. I cannot believe how much more I use the internet and computers now for those things. I actually feel inconvenienced when I have to use the library (even though I am a big fan of libraries in general)! It is exciting that there are so many educational resources out there for us to use in our classrooms, but I agree that it seems like things are constantly changing. I don't know if this is true for you, but my school seems to be constantly behind (like, VERY behind) in their technological resources, so staying current is even more challenging and inconvenient.
ReplyDelete